Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index General Discussion Off Topic

Organ donors?

Here is where you discuss everything under the sun, just keep it clean.

Organ donors?

Postby idle kid city » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:53 pm

Sorry if there was already a thread about this, but if there was I think it was a long time ago. Anyway, I was just curious about everones thoughts on being an organ donor. I would really like to become one...but my family just isn't giving me the encouragement I thought they would. My grandma, whom I live with, is strongly against it, and my dad doesn't seem to care. It's sorta a suckie situation for me now. So that brings me to another question...can I become one later? Like at 18? Well, thanks for takin the time to read this, I appreciate it :)
idle kid city
Man on the Moon

Postby Filomena » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:42 am

That's great that you want to be an organ donor!

Here is a link to a story from a 15 year old who received a new liver from an organ donor. You should show this to your grandmother, and talk about what a great thing it is to help people after you're dead. Maybe ask her, what if I need an organ at some point in my life? Would you still be against it?

Here's the story:
http://www.lifegoeson.com/donorfamilies05.html

If you need more facts about it, here's a link to the Illinois Organ Donor Registery:
http://www.lifegoeson.com/registry.html

Good Luck! It's such a personal thing. I think the ultimate decision lies with you.
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby quirky » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:13 am

When you get a driver's license, you can fill out the back to be an organ donor, but I believe they still need permission from next of kin.

I am a potential organ donor and also have my marrow on the national registry for patients who need bone marrow.

The best advice is the advice the last poster gave you. Sit down with your father and grandmother and tell them that if you are ever in the situation of being brain-dead, you wish them to steward the gift of your organs on your behalf.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby idle kid city » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:17 pm

Thank you guys so much! I will deffinatly try that!
idle kid city
Man on the Moon

Postby quirky » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:17 am

I was wondering how it went for you Idle City Kid?
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Return to Off Topic