Jim Carrey Online

K-A2 Reviews

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.
Filming September 7 - November 23, 2012

Re: K-A2 Reviews

Postby EvaAraujo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:03 pm

Canadian Jayne wrote:I haven't seen it yet,
want to talk my kids into
going to

Only if they are older than 16, otherwise... don't take them. :|
I'm a guardian of the spark...
I'm a God damn and proud good fan... and I love it! = )>
EvaAraujo
JCO Staff

Postby grinchy steve » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:43 am

First things first, Jeff Wadlow was a mistake. No doubt. Shots that were copied and framed in the same way they were shown in the comic looked good. However, a lot of the other scenes didn't, in fact, sometimes they looked plain terrible. With an average of 65 theatrical movies a year, I can say It's one of the worst directed I've seen so far, for 2013. It's one of the biggest issues the critics agreed on and I wished they were wrong, but that's simply not the case. The point most of them were making concerning Wadlow was right. It looked like they didn't have the budget to make it work.

Movie vs. comic; A lot of necessary and memorable parts in the comic were changed for the movie, replaced with ordinary humor or simply deleted. Result? The intensity got lost, the tone uneven. The story drags and somehow isn't able to get you caring about anything that's going on. Cause in the end, noting realy happened. The main character didn't even went through ... something. He didn't evolve in any way, different from the comic. While Kick-Ass (2010) was extremely fresh, closer to the comic and also a bit uneven, every tone had it's highlights. And it was tight. This adaption is poorly written, not working that well on-screen.

On the other side, I did have fun watching it. Most of the time, I realy did. The cast clearly had a good time making this and it shows. And, not talking as a 'fan', there is no doubt Jim Carrey is the better part from this movie. He's great, you've never seen him like this before and -for me- it confirms what I've been thinking for many years : He would be great in a Tarantino movie, playing a lager than life (serious) character. He's perfect for it. He should get the chance to do roles like this more often. Maybe they should think about him as a villain in one of those future Marvel or DC movies, Sin City maybe? However, it's a shame he's in this movie for only 10 minutes or so. Because of the fact his character was too important on a lot of levels, but that never came out. And Colonel Stars & Stripes didn't get the attention he got in the comic, a mistake.

Further on, all the guys that were seen in the original are as good (or better) as they were the first time around. The only problem is they didn't get the strong scenes they should have. The new characters are a pleasure also, but flat. They didn't take the time to let them shine, no introduction. Only trivial (right word?) appearances.

Half of the movie, I enjoyed a lot. But I can't get around the downside. Huge benefit of the doubt : I gave it a 6 out of 10. But I guess a second time, there's a chance it will end up slightly 'rotten' on my scale. They should have kept the spirit of the comic.

SPOILER (select to read) : If anyone would like to know how the colonel is found death in the comic, ask. I will send the picture through a personal message. And it will show why I think this movie was missing some balls.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby EvaAraujo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:41 pm

grinchy steve wrote:On the other side, I did have fun watching it. Most of the time, I realy did. The cast clearly had a good time making this and it shows. And, not talking as a 'fan', there is no doubt Jim Carrey is the better part from this movie. He's great, you've never seen him like this before and -for me- it confirms what I've been thinking for many years : He would be great in a Tarantino movie, playing a lager than life (serious) character. He's perfect for it. He should get the chance to do roles like this more often. Maybe they should think about him as a villain in one of those future Marvel or DC movies, Sin City maybe? However, it's a shame he's in this movie for only 10 minutes or so. Because of the fact his character was too important on a lot of levels, but that never came out. And Colonel Stars & Stripes didn't get the attention he got in the comic, a mistake.

I completely agree, and if you allow me, I will sign it too... :D
I'm a guardian of the spark...
I'm a God damn and proud good fan... and I love it! = )>
EvaAraujo
JCO Staff

Postby grinchy steve » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:09 pm

I allow. :p
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Previous

Return to (2013) Kick-Ass 2